Recipes and Food Pairings
For each Varick Winery event or Cayuga Lake Wine Trail event, we create a dish to share with our guests. We hope you enjoy the following recipes.
2012 MARDI GRAS
Corn & Crab Bisque
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
42 oz chicken broth
2 bay leaves
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon Varick Winery Garlic & Herb Hot Sauce
2 cups whole kernel corn( 15oz can, drained)
1 can (10.75 oz) cream of celery soup
3 tablespoons flour
½ cup milk
16 oz crabmeat, flaked
Salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in onion; sauté until soft and translucent. Pour in chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Add bay leaves, cayenne pepper, Varick Winery hot sauce, corn and celery soup. Reduce heat to low and simmer soup 7-10 minutes.
Place milk in a separate saucepan and stir in flour until roux forms and is smooth. Add roux to soup and continue to cook on low heat, stirring constantly until soup thickens. Stir in crabmeat. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Simmer 5 to 8 minutes more until warmed through.
2011 HOLIDAY SHOPPING SPREE
Fudgy Cherry Brownies
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
¼ cup butter, softened
2 cups Bisquick( biscuit/baking mix)
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
½ teaspoon almond extract
½ cup Varick Winery Cherry Preserves
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Coat 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
3. In a saucepan, melt 1 cup of chocolate chips and butter; stir until smooth. In a mixing bowl, combine Bisquick, milk, egg and almond extract. Stir in chocolate mixture; mix well. Fold in cherry preserves and remaining chocolate chips.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool in pan on wire rack.
2011 HERB & WINE FESTIVAL
Tomato Beef Soup
1 pound ground beef( may substitute 12 oz of vegetarian crumbles)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 cups of water
1 can (28oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can ( 14.5 oz)chopped or diced carrots
1 tablespoon salt
½ teaspoon dried marjoram
½ teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon dried savory
½ teaspoon of onion powder
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
½ to 1 teaspoon Varick Winery Garlic & Herb Hot Sauce( to taste)
Brown ground beef in oil. In large pot, mix browned ground beef and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until heated through.
2011 MARDI GRAS
28 oz of diced tomatoes
1 sm. onion
15 oz.can of white beans, drained 15 oz. can kidney beans, with liquid
1.25 oz. package of mild taco seasoning mix
1 oz. package ranch dressing mix
12 oz. package vegetarian burger crumbles[ may substitute 1 pound browned ground beef]
8 oz. package shredded Cheddar cheese
Mix tomatoes, onion, white beans, kidney beans, taco seasoning mix, and ranch dressing mix in a large pot over medium heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, mix in burger crumbles[ may substitute browned ground beef], and continue cooking until heated through. Top with cheese to serve.
2010 HOLIDAY SHOPPING SPREE
Three Cheese Baked Pasta
1 pound pasta(penne or ziti)
48 ounces marinara sauce
6 ounces provolone cheese, shredded
6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 1/2 cups sour cream
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 9 x 13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Cook pasta until al dente ( approx. 8 minutes), drain. Combine sauce, provolone cheese, mozzarella cheese, and sour cream in large bowl. Add hot pasta. Spoon pasta mixture into greased pan. Top with grated Parmesan cheese. Baked uncovered for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Cherry Poppy Seed Cookies
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup confectioners' powdered sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1/2 cup Varick Winery cherry preserves
1.. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
2. Cream together butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and almond extract. Mix in flour, salt and poppy seeds until blended. Chill dough. Make teaspoon size balls of dough and drop onto greaseless cookie sheet. Make indention in the middle of each cookie with thumb. Fill each hole with approximately 1/2 teaspoon of cherry preserves.
3. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
2010 WINE & HERB FESTIVAL
Cheesy Hash Browns
7 medium potatoes, shredded
1 pint sour cream ( or (2) 8 oz. cream cheese)
2 (10.75 oz) cans condensed cream of celery soup
1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon granulated onion
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon Varick Winery Vidalia Onion Hot Sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 8 x 12 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Peel whole potatoes and place in pot of boiling water; cook for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove potatoes from water. When cool, grate/shred potatoes into large bowl.( If short on time, use a 2 pound bag of frozen hash browns, thawed).
3. In large bowl, combine shredded potatoes, sour cream, soup, 1 cup of cheese, onion, pepper and hot sauce. Mix well and pour into baking dish. Bake for 45 minutes. Sprinkle casserole with remaining cheddar cheese and bake 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serves 9.
2010 MARDI GRAS
Varick Winery Hot Crab Dip
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup Varick Winery Garden Salsa
3 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese
1 pound imitation crabmeat, flaked
1 cup diced onions or 2 tbsp. dry granulated onion
1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
1 tsp. Varick Winery Three Pepper Hot Sauce *
Combine milk and salsa. Spray crockpot with non-stick spray. Place milk and salsa mixture in crockpot. Stir in cream cheese, crab, onions, chilies, and hot pepper sauce. Cover and cook on low for 30 - 40 minutes; stir occasionally. Serve warm with crackers. Serves 10-15. *adjust to taste
2009 HOLIDAY SHOPPING SPREE
Penne Pasta with Tomato Cream Sauce (Spicy)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 (28 oz.) can crushed or diced tomatoes
1 tsp. dried basil leaves
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar (to taste)
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes(to taste)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 lb. penne pasta( uncooked)
1. In saucepan, sauté onions and garlic in oil( 2 tbsp); do not brown.
2. Add tomatoes, basil, salt, oregano, sugar and red pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
3. Stir in heavy cream,reduce heat & simmer Cook pasta, pour sauce over pasta, toss & serve
2009 HERB & WINE FESTIVAL
Pasta with Marinara Sauce
2 ( 14 1/2 oz) can of diced tomatoes
1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
1 cup diced Walla Walla onion (sweet onion)
1 tbsp. dried basil leaves
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
2 tsp. sugar (to taste)
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1. In saucepan, sauté onions, but do not brown.
2 Add the liquid drained from the diced tomatoes. Add the basil, Italian seasonings, oregano, sugar and crushed red pepper. Simmer liquid and spices for 30 minutes or until liquid is reduced by one-half.
3. Add the diced tomatoes and crushed tomatoes and cook until heated, approx. 1 minute
2009 MARDI GRAS
Cajun Chicken Nuggets
4 boneless chicken breasts cut into bite-size( 1") pieces
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp Cajun seasoning
1/2 tsp thyme
1 cup finely ground bread crumbs
1 tbsp milk
6 tbsp Varick Winery Horseradish mustard
1 1/2 cups Varick Winery apricot preserves *
Mix seasonings and bread crumbs In separate bowl, beat egg & milk . Dip chicken in egg mixture, then roll in seasoning mixture
Place chicken on greased cookie sheet and bake for 15- 20 minutes Mix mustard and preserves in a small pan over low temperature,
stirring to thoroughly mix until preserves melt .
Serve chicken nuggets with dipping sauce
* may substitute peach preserves or orange marmalade
Raspberry Chocolate Chip Cake
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup Varick Winery & Vineyard Raspberry Preserves
1 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9 X 13 inch pan with no-stick cooking spray and lighhtly flour.
2. Place flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, oil, eggs, raspberry preserves, and chocolate chips in a bowl and mix thoroughly with a fork.
3. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
Corn Cheddar Chowder
3 T. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 large potato, peeled & diced
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. dried sage
3 T. all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cups milk
1 3/4 cups canned corn, drained (15 oz. can)
2 T. chopped parsley
2 T. chopped fresh chives
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Salt & pepper to taste
1. In a large saucepan over medium high heat, melt the butter and stir in the onion, potato, bay leaf, cumin & sage. Sauté about 5 minutes until the onion is tender.
2. Mix in the flour, coating the onion and potato. Pour in the chicken stock and milk. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly until smooth.
3. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until the potato is tender.
4. Mix in the corn, parsley & chives and cook about 5 minutes, until heated through. Remove the bay leaf, and stir in the cheddar cheese until melted and blended. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Hot Cheesy Spinach Dip
3 T. butter
2 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
10 oz. frozen chopped spinach (thawed, drained)
1/2 cup white wine
Salt and pepper to taste
Varick Winery & Vineyard Hot Sauce to taste
1/2 cup chopped green onion
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup half-and-half
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. stir in garlic, spinach and white wine. Heat and stir 2 to 3 minutes. Add salt, pepper & hot sauce. Remove from heat and transfer to a medium bowl.
3. Add green onion, mozzarella cheese, mayonnaise and half-and-half to spinach mixture. Transfer mixture to a medium baking dish.
4. Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until bubbly and lightly brown.
5102 State Route 89
Romulus, New York 14541
Telephone: (315) 549-8797
SAVE THE DATE